How To Cross a Metal-Grated Bridge on a Motorcycle
By Walter F. Kern
Crossing a metal-grated bridge can be an unnerving operation for a new motorcyclist. Learn the technique here.
Here's How to Cross a Metal-Grated Bridge:
- Assume you are riding along and you notice a metal-grated bridge ahead.
- Check the mirrors behind to ensure that no one is tailgating you. If so, open up some space.
- As you approach the bridge, check for oncoming traffic.
- Stay in either the left or right tire track position.
- Slow down a little.
- Downshift at least one gear to match your speed.
- Keep your head up.
- Loosen your grip on the handlebars.
- Enter the bridge.
- You will feel the bike drifting a bit. Maintain steady speed.
- Try to maintain a straight line across the bridge.
- You're across. Congratulations.
- Resist the temptation to slow down. Keep a steady speed with your head up.
- Riding across a rain soaked metal bridge can be even more unnerving. Wait until you feel comfortable with the dry ones before attempting this.
Click Picture for Walter F. Kern's
Kindle, Paperback, and Audible